Friday, May 15, 2020

roll call


briefly





roll call

to explain grace requires
a curious hand.
                                                Marianne Moore
                                                the Pangolin

These days and days we’ve stayed
in place and yet stray
from the grace of immaculate spaces, 
the dogged way of tracing

the abeyance of dates,
their traceable
fingerprint places: how their being
there is a shape how their not

being 
there is 
shape: how

they have names how
they have places how
they have cravings how
they have made ways of how to be

named aloud and not dismissed
because listen, when you call them
out  they’ll stray back into their throat.  
Like ticking the roll with your mechanical

pencil, quick check quick capital
A into the string of teeny
squares that for now will run
the full twelve weeks

blank and clean to the coming end:
weeks and weeks and in my tired
dated way, a paper layout
to make it all keep up and in place

keep it easy,
keep it being
keep it needing to be
seen. Take heed:

lean like you used to
lean, each of you: how you
listened, remember listening?
to the whole

goddamn list predicting (not
really) it
your name
what pen or sketch of serial

will has nested there
between two others (unless
you’re first unless you’re
last)

and you wait it out until it arrives
like every soothing routine
it arrives somehow
in time.  But now.  See? see?

see that Friday doesn’t need me
to say it’s Friday
to be Friday.  It’s all honest
and arbitrary but for the pure

dependence of it, the box
on the calendar
and what’s inside
to tell us

where and what we need to
see and be and re-
member              .
before it’s all thrown off its delicate

metronome in the midst of a plague
in the midst of a quarantine.  Tomorrow
the calendar says
I’ll be fifty.  Today it says

I’m forty-
nine.  I’m counting.  I have been
counting.  I’m right
where I belong, pausing all

that stalled indulgence like when,
when, when will the delivery come,
when will I hold it out and not
open it and not put it on the table

or the vanity or the porch rail if
the sun’s out
and watch for the weather to turn
watch for the afternoon to come on, watch it

March watch its sun come closing in later
(incrementally) than it did yesterday.  Or like phases
of the moon.  or illnesses.  But truly, whose
looking?

Before I reach for my darling
knife to open this gift (not the sun and not the moon
but if I could, now’s the time
wouldn’t you say?) I think of slitting

the edges on the ends first
and do, to ease the middle forward
and toward my rib and count
the seconds it will take to make it

finally

after all this gone by time,
see the light I have to light
if my fire's bright and not all that guardedly
or needing to be seeing

as what’s being
lifted or
poured or
tumbled . . .it’s been

a long, long time coming  up
or down or staying the same
marked or not marked Friday come Monday
or whatever day makes me

say today today
today is the day the last
day in this day and age that I’ll be this age
and I take it out for a walk

like it was a dog wanting
green grass or wanting
another dog’s pee tree
or even sweeter

like it was not any one day at all
you feel me? and being
such creatures who move as clumsily
or as gracefully as Marianne

Moore’s pangolin, depending
on how it needs to utilize
its armor
or its tongue

or its teeny eyes
or its absolute
vulnerability . . .tell me who?
you? needs

names for days of the week to be
boxed and shipped off
to the roll call to be stuffed
by incurious and injurious hands

so that by the time we arrives to be
opened we're all in shards or sand
or chunks some as big as my hand
some ground down to powder

some just relieved of its one small handle
now in three pieces
now resting in the bottom
of the vessel it was meant to be held,

light of the world it is, up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment